During the Bar Rescue makeover, Jazz Katz was renamed to Back Beat Piano Bar, and they have kept the new bar name, but seem to use both. Let's take a look at some information, reviews, and updates for Back Beat since Bar Rescue came and made all of the changes to the bar (All reviews are post-Bar Rescue):
- "Wow! Elegant, the atmosphere is hypnotizing. One of the most upscale professional restaurants I have been to in all of Michigan. The food was amazing and the music was right on point. I can't wait to go back."
- "My husband and I had a wonderful time lastnight! The music was awesome from the band and singer Sharon Love Jones (amazing voice)! SUPERB treatment by the staff and owners (Tiffany was AWESOME even though she was very busy)! The food was good as well (mac n cheese was very good and everything was fresh and hot when it arrived at our table)! We'll be back soon!"
- "It was the worse. Waited over an hour for food. Drinks were terrible, even the regular pop was flat. Appetizers came after the food that was under seasoned. On top of everything the service was even worse. We had to beg for the check,, that we should not have had to pay vc the food was bad. The band was not that bad, but o would never go back because of the service. Two thumbs down!"
- "Eat before you arrive, the food was mediocre at best. We ordered several dishes and nothing tasted good and the worst was the 26.00 seafood Mac and cheese, a huge mound of Mac and cheese with a few bites of shrimp. Atmosphere was nice, I'll return BUT dinner will be elsewhere."
- "Great music, but terrible service. We came with a Groupon that included two drinks with admission. After waiting 10 minutes for the bill, we were charged $10 per drink. This was more than the Groupon itself! I don't think we will he going back. They have a lot of work to do."
- "I had my 41st Fabulous Birthday party here... Glad everyone had a good time listening to LIVE JAZZ BAND !!! Music was too low they kept adjusting the sound. Drinks were watered down. Food was very small portion but tasty...U have to go yourself to have your own experience."
*Reviews from Yelp, Facebook
Other News and Links:
- The Bar Rescue makeover happened in September 2015.
- Here is a preview video of the episode from the Spike TV website with Jon confronting the bartender.
- Here is the Back Beat Facebook Page, which says "Jazz Katz - BackBeat"
- Here is the Back Beat Piano Bar website, which is just a menu of food and cocktails.
- Jazz Katz - BackBeat is offering a Groupon for deals on admission plus 2 or 4 drinks. (Link)
- According to this online profile, Tamika is also an owner of a restaurant called French Quarter Cafe. UPDATE - Tamika clarified and said the original name of Jazz Katz was going to be called French Quarter, so she does not own another restaurant.
The bar has kept the name Back Beat Piano Bar, but they seem to use the name interchangeably with Jazz Katz. The reviews since the Bar Rescue makeover are more negative than positive with people complementing the music, but having complaints about the service, food, and prices.
UPDATE 12/21/2015 - Back Beat has started a Go Fund Me with hopes of raising $7,000 stating, "Taffer gave us the tools to work with, now we just need the chance to get it right. As soon as the show aired, our landlord demanded full payment of the lease or evict us. He would therefore successfully steal the renovation right from under us. Help me keep them from stealing all the hard work, blood, sweat and tears that went into this place. John Taffer said this was his favorite make over and I was his favorite owner. He truly understood my purpose in opening this venue. We have embraced all of his changes and have a great future ahead of us starting with a dynamic New Years Eve celebration. We just need help to get there. Please help me with this second chance."
UPDATE 5/2016 - Back Beat Piano Bar has closed.
*To see how all of the bars from Bar Rescue are doing, go to the Bar Rescue Update page, and also Like us on Facebook or Follow Us on Twitter to stay up to date with all things involving Bar Rescue.