During the Bar Rescue makeover, Underground Wonder Bar was renamed to Clear Bar. That name did not stick as they quickly went back to the Underground Wonder Bar. Let's take a look at some information, reviews, and updates for Underground Wonder Bar since Bar Rescue came and made all of the changes to the bar:
- "Great intimate place to hear awesome live music. Staff is very friendly and Lonnie gets the whole audience involved. I highly recommend it."
- "House band, Lonie walker and her bad ass company band, was one of the most amazing bands I'd seen. Got the crowd participating. Drinks were a bit more expensive than what i'm used to, but i'm not used to downtown Chicago prices. All the bar staff were pretty freindly. If I lived in Chicago I would be in this bar every Friday."
- "Had live music which was excellent but I can't remember the name of the band. Bartender was cool and always had a pint of Guinness ready for me. Thanks!"
- "Nice chill place. Loved the music and the crayons they give you for coloring! But had to leave cuz the music was wayyyy too loud"
- "Ambiance & live music are great!"
- "Extremely disappointed by quality of music. I have heard high school jazz groups that were more talented than this band. They played for a half hour and then took almost a half hour break. If you are going to charge a cover, hire some quality talent! We will never return even though we live close by."
- "Awful!!! Horrible!! Worst jazz music ever. Unsure what's happening tonight. $15 for cover charge, awful!!! No words but awful"
- "Music was awesome!!! That's the only good thing about this place. Food is over priced and bland. Lacks flavor...Drinks were watered down. Only thing this place has to offer me Is the live music and great performances."
- "Do NOT order food here. It was literally like someone microwaved something out of the frozen foods section."
*Reviews from Yelp
Other News and Links:
- The Bar Rescue makeover happened in late October 2014.
- Here are preview videos of the episode from the Spike TV website - Video 1, Video 2, Video 3.
- Here is the Underground Wonder Bar Facebook page, as well as a Wonder Bar Facebook page.
- Here is the Underground Wonder Bar Twitter page, and they will be live tweeting during their episode, and you can ask questions using #AskLonie.
- Here is the Underground Wonder Bar Website.
- Here are the Facebook pages of the owner Lonie, Jordan, Akubu and Ruby.
- Jon Taffer said this episode was one of his favorites of all time. (Link)
- Right after the makeover, Wonder Bar posted this on their Facebook page, "So underground wonder bar will forever be home!! We got a beautiful new upgrade and along with that came a name suggestion! We will comply for bit , but make no mistake it is the people and the music that have made this place home for almost 25yrs and to be Clear the family you know and love is still in complete control . Thanks fir all the love and support keep it coming !!!!"
- In December 2014, ChicagoJazz.com interviewed Lonnie about the Bar Rescue experience, and Lonnie said this regarding the name change,
"Who the bleep knows why Taffer wanted to change our name after 25 years. Clear Bar represents the new reverse osmosis water filtration system that they installed for us, which runs through all of our soda guns and even the ice machine, which is awesome, but we don’t how that justifies a name change?" She also confirmed that "It will forever and always be the Underground Wonder Bar!"
- Lonie recently posted this on her Facebook page regarding the Bar Rescue episode,
"Soooooo...... Be prepared to watch me cry and curse and curse and cry. I used to love that show ....... But please watch bc if it was for "nothing" and just the product (s) that they gifted us then it was for naught. We OBVIOUSLY did not keep their name....clear bar .... Huh? Take the wonder away ..... Because Oh! Wonder is childish and not sophisticated and and we'll see why else Wonder is a bad word ....But they did clear out the basement which is being launched as the Roots Room ( not Count Room .....huh?)
They also gave us an Amazing reverse osmosis water filtration system...YaY ... What does this have to do with live music you ask ? I Wonder Bar too but am happy fir the addition bc I Love that I don't have to bring my own filtered water in from home ( in reusable glass bottles) so yeah come drink the water, order a drink, eat some food as you Dance Dance Dance to Live Music. Oh yeah don't forget to bring home your crayon drawing \0/ happy people who don't yell live longer and ..... Happier. Underground Wonder Bar lives ....."
- A comment on Lonie's Facebook page said, "The whole show is a made up lie. It's more like $80,000. He added in the money she borrowed from people to get into the bar 3 years ago. She's paid most of that back. The real issues that needed "rescuing" we're never addressed... They just used what would create the most drama."
The reviews of Underground Wonder Bar since the Bar Rescue makeover seem to be mixed with some people liking the music, while others have complaints about the music. There are also a lot of complaints about the food.
Clear Bar, the name given by Bar Rescue, did not stick long as the Underground Wonder Bar quickly changed their name back (the crayons are back too). It seems like there was no chance the Underground Wonder Bar would have accepted a name change anyways.
UPDATE - The bar announced they were going to close in February 2017, but at the end of January they had an update that they would remain open, but the building is for sale. This will be something to keep an eye on.
*To see how all of the bars from Bar Rescue are doing, go to the Bar Rescue Update page, and also Like us on Facebook or Follow Us on Twitter to stay up to date with all things involving Bar Rescue.