During the Bar Rescue makeover, Mandala Lounge was renamed to 38th Floor. The bar is supposed to make you feel like you are in a high rise despite being on the ground floor. The bar has kept the name and concept and they still go by 38th Floor. Let's take a look at some information, reviews, and updates for 38th Floor since Bar Rescue came and made all of the changes to the bar:
- "Bar Rescue in the house! The old Mandala wasn't bad, but Bar Rescue really elevated this place into a swanky upscale lounge without being to pretentious. Major improvements were made in the back patio area where there's more lighting, new furniture, and awesome heat lamps"
- "This place is clean, comfy and the outdoor area offers more room if you feel cramped by the inside...
- We sat at the bar and were greeted by the owner himself who made our drinks efficiently and offered some suggestions. We mentioned the show and he was open to talking about it. He's a chill guy and I'm glad we had the chance to meet him."
- "Excellent drinks! Owner is great! Awesome decor and back patio!"
- "The bartenders are so nice and actually remember our names we've been there 4 times since they've reopened after the bar rescue. The high rise Collins with muddled raspberries is ammmmazing! They always have good djs too!"
- "Friendly staff on Friday night..Cute patio for summer hangout or drinks with the girls. I was shocked it was empty after the remodel I expected more patrons."
- "The renovations have drawn some crowds...usually empty mandala transformed to a packed 38th floor bar...well-dressed hip bartender mixing out drinks...music blasting and a lively crowd...still not overly crowded and able to walk around easily...order of few drinks and not bad...nice bar, but will it endure the location?."
- "I like this place, service is always excellent- but the space is just kinda awkward... the music is hit and miss- cool patio. I hope they make it."
Other News and Links:
- The Bar Rescue makeover happened in January of 2015.
- Here is are two preview videos (Video 1, Video 2) of the episode from the Spike TV website
- Here is the 38th Floor website and cocktail menu.
- Here is the 38th Floor Facebook page which is kept up-to-date, and they are having a viewing party for the show tonight. Also, here is the old Mandala Lounge Facebook page.
- Here are some pictures of the interior after the makeover.
- On the 38th Floor website, owner Greg wrote the following message:
- There were 238 Yelp reviews (4-star average) of the bar according to this link, but apparently they were all scrubbed after the name change.
- Here is the owner Greg's Facebook page.
- Here is a recent post from Greg saying the Bar Rescue makeover is great and thanking Jon Taffer, Bar Rescue, and the new customers.
- Greg went to Jon Taffer's Nightclub & Bar Convention in Las Vegas a few weeks ago. (Link)
- A bar back from the bar replied to someone who asked if the show was real and said, "I didn't have a script, my boss didn't have a script and John Taffer didn't have a script. My bar was failing and now it's not. That's the best I can tell you."
- The bar was looking to hire female bartenders after Bar Rescue came, and it appears they did as there is a female (Stephanie) who currently works there.
- Greg was interviewed about the Bar Rescue experience recently by a local newspaper, and is quoted as saying, "The process was really really hard, it was very emotional. My wife was on the show, my dad was on the show, my son was on the show. But this guy (Taffer), what they did for us, was unbelievable. They legitimately created some real family healing. … That aspect of it I didn’t really anticipate and it was a wild experience. It was really cool they did a terrific job with the bar. The bar looks amazing, ever since the show we’ve been non-stop improving it and investing into it."
- He also said that he has dropped his lazy ways, hired a new staff and an experienced manager, and continues to invest in improvements.
- He said Jon Taffer pointed out that he was the problem and put him through a personality boot camp to help turn him around.
- Greg said that business is up 30 percent after the makeover, and before the episode has even aired.
"The 38th Floor Bar, formally Mandala Lounge, is the creation of Jon Taffer from the hit TV series Bar Rescue. Mandala Lounge opened in June 2007. The location was picked primarily for its outside patio and its proximity to the future Bay Meadows development just blocks from the lounge. Business was excellent in the beginning until the financial collapse of 2008. The general economic conditions coupled with the development freeze of the Bay Meadows hit the lounge hard.
Although Mandala Lounge was committed to service, as was evidenced by their positive Yelp reviews, the business struggled financially. The struggle to stay open was detrimental to my physical wellbeing, the health of my marriage, and my finances, and the wellbeing of my staff. The pressure and stress of a failing business translated negatively through me to my staff and, ultimately, to my customers. Finally, I could no longer justify the negative cost of staying in business and prepared to sell or close.
In the first quarter of 2014 as we were preparing to close, Bar Rescue was canvasing the area looking for candidates for the show. They left us a message, I responded, and we passed through 5 interviews over 9 months. We essentially staid open to see if we would be selected. After months of waiting and anticipation, Mandala Lounge was selected to be on Bar Rescue.
The Transformation was dramatic…for myself (the owner), my family, my staff, and the venue. Jon Taffer, the host of Bar Rescue, essentially put me through “personality boot camp,” helping me realize the defects of character that were blocking me from success. The confrontation of the issues contributing to the bar’s demise set the ground work for a new beginning. Not many people get a second chance and I will forever be grateful to Jon Taffer and the Bar Rescue Team for this opportunity.
We continue to add, improve, and polish the 38TH Floor Bar platform Jon Taffer gave us. We welcome everyone to come experience the accessible sophistication of the 38TH Floor Bar. We don’t get to be here without you so we look forward to meeting you and making new friends. Elevate your night life experience at the 38TH Floor Bar tonight!"
38th Floor has kept the name and concept installed by Bar Rescue and the reviews of the bar have pretty much all been positive (although they didn't seem too bad before the makeover). Greg seems very appreciative that Bar Rescue came and helped his bar and credits them for turning things around. He even went to the Nightclub & Bar Show in Las Vegas that is run by Jon Taffer.
They have also hired a female bartender to work at the bar and business is supposedly up 30 percent since the Bar Rescue makeover.
UPDATE 4/2016 - 38th Floor Bar has closed - More information on the closing.
*To see how all of the bars from Bar Rescue are doing, go to the Bar Rescue Update page, and also Like us on Facebook or Follow Us on Twitter to stay up to date with all things involving Bar Rescue.